Translate

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Tender Blueberry Cake



              
 
I always have left over stuff in my fridge, the other day it was buttermilk. The buttermilk was left over from the Red Velvet Cupcakes. So I used the buttermilk in some blueberry pancakes for breakfast. After that I had to think of what to do with an extra punnet of blueberries because I bought 2 punnets for the pancakes. 
 
Fortunately, I had to bring a dessert to my Parents' In Law's place for dinner, so I had a need to use up those lovely blueberries.
 
This cake was simple to make and I whipped it up in no time. My nephew commented that it looks heavy when he saw it, "we shall see", I said. After baking, it looks solid because of the extra sprinkling of sugar on top so it looked crusty. But when you cut into it, passed the crust, it was so soft inside. Oh my goodness, the cake was so tender and simply melt in your mouth.
 
This recipe is a keeper and easy to whip up to bring to a friend's place.
 
 See the crackled top! Thats what I want!
 
 Blueberry Cake
 
Ingredients
115 g unsalted butter, room temperature
110 g fine sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 egg yolks
190 g cake flour
1 tsp baking powder
80 ml milk                  

Meringue:
2 egg whites
50 g fine sugar
125 g fresh blueberries
1 tbsp cake or plain flour

Topping:
1 tbsp fine sugar
 
Method
Preheat oven to 180 degrees C (350 degrees F) Grease and line with greaseproof paper a 18 cm (7 inch) square pan or 20 cm (8 inch) round pan.

Sift the cake flour, baking powder and salt together.
 
Cream butter and 110g of sugar until fluffy. Add the vanilla extract.

Separate egg yolks and the egg whites and put the whites aside. Add egg yolks one at a time to the mixture and beat until creamy.                   

Add the flour alternately with milk to the mixture. Coat blueberries with 1 tablespoon flour and add to batter.
                   
In a separate bowl, beat whites until soft peaks form. Add 50g of sugar, in a slow steam and beat until just under stiff peaks form. (Egg whites still shiny)


Fold egg whites into batter using a spatula. Pour into prepared pan. Sprinkle top with remaining 1 tablespoon of sugar.                

Bake for 50 minutes, or until cake tester inserted, comes out clean.  


Put on wire rack to cool.             









 
     
      
               
    
     
     
     
     
     

    No comments:

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...